Rollin’ Rollin’ Rollin’

Well, we have finally begun our travels!  They haven’t gone exactly as planned either.  We first left Grand Teton National Park very, very early on Saturday morning with our friends.  Here’s a picture of them when we were all having a good time at the end of season party.  6.The.Gang.End.of.Season.10.03.10From the left, that’s Jackie, Dave, Jeanene, Mike, and Sal.  We all had a great time that night!  Anyway, these were the other couples that we were traveling with.  We were leaving so early because we had just over 400 miles to travel that first day and so wanted to hit the road running, so to speak. 

Anyway, as we were leaving, in the dark, we discovered that our brake lights weren’t working on our truck or fifth-wheel.  But we had to get going, so we made plans to be the rig in the middle and planned on flashing lights when we had to brake.  And off we went.  It was raining when we left, but we had looked up the WY DOT website earlier and it said the roads were just wet over the Togwotee Pass.  Well, let me just say that the website LIED!!!!  We drove through miles and miles of SNOW!!  And I mean, sticking on the road snow!  And this pass is a typical, narrow, winding, steep, mountain pass.  There was no place to pull over or turn around or anything.  We just had to keep moving forward!  We stopped to have breakfast on the other side of the pass and compared notes on spinning tires on the two trucks pulling the fifth-wheels.  Apparently the motor home did a bit better.  I’m glad to say that that part of the trip is over!!

After arriving at the Terry Bison Ranch just outside of Cheyenne, WY to spend the night, the guys tried to figure out what was wrong with our brake lights, but unfortunately, had no luck.  In the morning before leaving, I got to watch this amazing rainbow start out small, and then complete from end to end, and then it turned into a double rainbow.  It was really beautiful to watch! Then after leaving, we ended up here…..  8.BAT.TA.Service.Bay.Cheyenne.WY.10.10.10After a few hours, we were back on the road again and driving through Nebraska.  There’s not much to see in Nebraska except a whole lot of farming!  We decided to not travel along the interstate, but instead to travel along Hwy 30 which follows along part of the Oregon Trail, the Mormon Trail, and the Texas Trail.  It’s pretty cool to see some of the old buildings along the route.  This was as we were driving through Sidney, NE.  13.buildings.Sidney.NE.10.10.10

We continued along until we got to Ogallala, NE where we decided to stay for the night at Open Corral Campground.  It’s a cute little place, even if it is right along the highway.  We’ve kinda gotten used to RV parks in similar locations over the years.  Ogallala is a really cool town!  We did a bit of sightseeing.  Here’s the Front Street/Cowboy Museum downtown.  Unfortunately, it was closed.  We really would have enjoyed checking it out.  24.Cowboy.Museum.Ogallala.NE.10.10.10In the 1870’s and ‘80’s, cowboys, settlers, and drifters came to Ogallala when the railroad and the Texas Trail opened a new market for the Texas Longhorn.  Gunfights were common here so, of course, they have an old cemetery called Boot Hill.  29.Boot.Hill.Ogallala.NE.10.10.10 Most of them were buried with their boots on, thus the name.  The first burials here was a mother and child, although many came by running afoul of the law.  30.Grave.marker.Boot.Hill.Ogallala.NE.10.10.10Their bodies were placed in canvas sacks, were lowered into shallow graves and marked with a wooden headboard.  There is also this statue there that they call “The Trail Boss.”  It is a tribute to those men who came up the Texas Trail and recognizes the role the trail drives played in establishing the beef cattle industry in the northern plains.  34.The.Trail.Boss.Boot.Hill.Ogallala.NE.10.10.10 After visiting Boot Hill, we continued our little tour to the Mansion on the Hill.  43.Mansion.on.the.Hill.Ogallala.NE.10.10.10The ground for the house was bought for $275 for all of Block 26 by L.A. Brandhoefer in 1887.  It was Ogallala’s finest home.  The house had nine spacious rooms, two baths and 10 foot ceilings.  Brandhoefer didn’t live in the house long.  He sold it in 1888.  The mansion was the home of the Ogallala’s mayor just before World War I, and in 1918 was used as a hospital.  For a while in the 1920’s it was an apartment house.  Unfortunately, this was also closed for the season.  If we’re ever back in the area in the summer, I’d really like to check these things out. 

Well, we’re going to continue further down the road.  The brake lights on the truck aren’t really fixed, we found out further down the road.  So, we’re headed to Lincoln, NE to have it looked at by Freightliner.  Check back soon to see what happens.  Happy Trails!


Popular posts from this blog

What a Birthday! Good & Bad………

Scary Name–AMAZING Place!!!

Happy New Year